Friday, July 18, 2003

Sorry but your wrong


I like Uncouth Sloth's site. I like reading his comments and his insight. I respect his stance on Sosa, but it doesnt mean i have to like it or agree with it. Thats why America is a great place to live. And i know i am relatively new to blogging, but i just feel his justification for blaming Sammy Sosa for our years of losing is nonsense.

"He's been here 11 years, four of which he put up literally unprecedented stats, and how many World Series have we won?

Am I supposed to just sit here with my thumb up my butt and figure that he has had nothing to do with the losing? I KNOW THAT'S WHAT HE THINKS! And, he's wrong, wrong, wrong....

He's a loser. Period. Sentence. Paragraph."


I will never agree with this point of view for the anti-Sosa people. If the team isnt winning its Sosa's fault. If the team is winning he gets no credit.
I dont know if Sloth realizes the shitty players this team has had since 1998. Let me run a few names by you..... Hundley, Gaetti, Stairs, Coomer, Harris, A-gonz, Estes, Alfonseca, Mike Morgan, Girardi, Jose Hernandez, H-rod, Rondell White, Jason Bere, Ricky Gutierrez, Julian Taveraz, Felix Heredia, Jeff Fassero, Damon Buford, Darren Lewis, Ismael Valdes, Rick Aguilera, Willie Green, Micky Morandini, Jeff Blauser (The Cub killer remember him?), Lance Johnson. Would you like me to go on?
This is the crap the Cubs have mostly shoveled out since 1998. I can name off more failures and bums than i can name off players that were actually helpfull to the Cubs. Some of these guys had 1 good season and then just blew chunks the rest of their time as a Cub. This is the reason the Cubs suck year in and year out especially in the last 5 years. Its the lightning in the bottle approach that the Cubs have been doing for decades. Sometimes it works most of the time it fails.

But to say a guy putting up a .300 BA, .400 OBP, 50 HR's and 100+ RBI and RUNS a year ISNT helping the team is just plain wrong. I thought the point of baseball was to get on base, score runs and drive in runs? Sorry to say but 1 man cant put a team in the WS. Which means you have to put the talent around Sosa to get a winning team. Our talent level compared to the Cardinals and Giants is ridiculous and we all have the same amount of payrolls. You have to increase the overall talent on the club while keeping what you got. The Cubs have not done that. They havent done that for years. Yet it is Sosa's fault? I dont buy that for a second.