Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Hmmmm



My last post seems kinda harsh on getting Maddux. For clarification i am very happy that he is a Cub. It makes our rotation look awesome. And one thing i forgot to take into consideration when i posted that, is that i have always wanted a mentor for Kerry Wood. Like what Nolan Ryan did for Randy Johnson and then Randy Johnson doing it for Curt Schilling to a small extent.

I have always wanted someone by Wood's side everyday telling him how to make a better pitch or make better decision. How you dont need to strike out every batter you face. Pick and choose your battles. I think that is Wood's single biggest fault. He believes has to strikeout every single batter he faces in the order to win.

I hope Maddux steps into that role as mentor more than i care about his contract or his performance on the field. I think he can help Clement and Zambrano as well. In those respects i think he can have a bigger impact than what he does on the field.