Wednesday, April 28, 2004

D-Backs fan also



I consider myself an Arizona Diamond Backs fan also. I will root and cheer for them on the days they are not playing the Cubs. The reason for this was because I was living in Arizona at the time the D-backs became a franchise. Being a huge baseball fan my only other MLB game I had been to was the Anaheim Angels. Now finally a baseball franchise was in the city of Phoenix and I could go whenever I wanted to.

I attended the 2nd game ever at the B.O.B. and nearly every Cubs series including the game in 1998 where Kerry Wood set the 3 game major league record for SO's by a pitcher. For a few years after that my job would give me 3rd base side seats just a couple rows back from the field. Regulars who sat in front of me were Jerry Colangelo, Alice Cooper and Jeremy Roenick at the time. Kids would always be trying to get autugraphs from them every game. A special moment i happened to witness was when a kid was trying to get Randy Johnson's attention in the dugout to sign his ball. After about an inning Johnson stuck his head up and looked around. He motioned to the kid to give him the ball and disappeared back into the dugout.

A few innings had passed and the the kid was wondering if he would ever get his ball back. To his relief Randy Johnson reappeared and instead of giving the ball back to the kid he threw it to Jeremy Roenick and made the motion for him to sign it as well. The kid at this point was confused at what was going on. Roenicks wife handed him a pin and he signed the ball and gave it back to the kid.

Apparently what took so long was that Randy Johnson was passing the ball around the dugout so the entire team could sign the ball and added the extra sentimental value of getting a Hockey star to sign it as well. A very unique momento for this kid which I am sure he will never forget.