Saturday, July 31, 2004

Reaction from the other side

A Large Regular
Not sure if the rest of the country can fathom the psychological bombshell trading Nomar is for Red Sox Nation. Personally - hearing about the trade will remain with me the rest of my life similar to the news of the Challenger disaster or President Reagan being shot. I know that seems to be out of whack as far as priorities are concerned but that's the God's honest truth and I'm sure many Red Sox fans feel the same way......

- Nomar was the best baserunner I ever saw in a Red Sox uniform. He may not have been the fastest baserunner but he was the best. Just look at the number of triples Nomar was able to rack up.

Imagine that, the Cubs actually have a decent base runner on top of that also.

Sports Retort
But I'll miss Nomar. I feel like my dog just got run over. That he was likely to run away in a few months anyway doesn't make me feel any better.


Baseball Told the Right Way
Many more deals coming through today, and I am still in shock. I can't believe they are true because I can't believe the Red Sox are that stupid.


Humbug Journal
A miracle falls to the Cubs,
Getting Nomar for nothing but scrubs.
Will the Expo and Twinkie
Cabrera and Minky
Be cheered in the old Boston pubs?

Not Likely.

Joy of Sox
Everyone -- and I mean every single poster -- thinks Theo got the fleecing of his life (and frankly can't believe (a) he'd pull the trigger on such a one-sided deal and/or (b) that that is all Nomar could fetch). There has to be some secret part of the deal -- some other players -- that we have not been told about yet.

Told you it wouldn't be pretty in Boston if Nomar was traded.

Message Boards....
All that being said, I feel a little empty tonight. Recent details aside, Nomar is a guy who is going to be remembered in the history of RSN in the same breath as Pesky, Yaz, and perhaps even Williams. You cannot say he did not give all and leaves us with many fine memories from a warm summer night.

The implications of a Red Sox - Cubs World Series are now biblical in scope.

The Cubs welcome his hustle and heart!

I love the way Nomar plays the game and will miss him in a Boston uniform. That being said, I must admit it is with some sense of relief to see a potential good ending to what has been an excruciating SS drama for nearly 8 months.

Theo Epstein now officially joins the long, long list of stupid Red Sox GMs. And it didn't take too long, did it? Actually, Dan Duquette lasted longer in the 'we're not sure he's a total idiot yet zone."