Thursday, March 25, 2004

Hill and Choi Updates



Looks like Bobby Hill will win the 2nd base job with Pittsburgh out of spring training. In reality its more to do with Freddy Sanchez being injured than Hill actually winning the job, as most experts expect Sanchez to get the majority of AB's once he returns.

Hill after a slow start this spring, has raised his average to .314 with 2 HR's, 3 RBI, and 5 R.

Hill has gone from one of the top Cubs prospects to what many scouts are saying as one of the most over hyped prospects. Again I like the deal that brought us Aramis Ramirez, but I still honestly believe that Hill can be a productive major league baseball player if given a chance. The injury to Sanchez could give Hill some breathing room to establish himself with the Pirates and I really hope he does.

Hee Seop Choi I think is a much more gifted player than Bobby Hill and expect him to be a better major league player also. His spring hasn't been particularly good on the other hand and I expect Wil Cordero to get the 1B nod with Choi as his backup. That wont exactly help Choi.

While he hasn't hit for average this spring Choi has showed some decent power. .222, 3 HR, 9 RBI.

I hope both of these players live up to expectations, and I will continue to track their progress.