Thursday, March 25, 2004

MSN I Love You



In a $40 million dollar deal with Major League Baseball MSN now offers free live web video broadcasts for its Premium customers. Over 240 live broadcasts of baseball games a month. Also included is gameday audio of baseball games.

Before you had to pay either $19.95 a month or $99.95 a year for this package. Now it comes included with regular membership to MSN.

AOL has also struck a deal to bring a similar service to their community.

America Online plans to announce a two-year, $9 million deal with MLB Advanced Media (MLBAM), the leagues Web business, to offer live audio streams and 20-minute video clips for each game, the sources added. AOL will offer the games free of charge to its AOL for Broadband members, most of whom pay $14.95 a month on top of their broadband bills for the service

The AOL service it looks like is a much more slimed down version of MSN's.

With MSN you get everything they put out on MLB.com, live uncut video, home or away audio, highlight clips, archives you name it. For a baseball fan trying to choose between which service they want, this will attract more customers to MSN than AOL.

I did have some problems just trying to get the video to work, it kept wanting to try and play it on a real player but wasn't working. I do not mess with my Windows Media PLayer that much but once I figured out how to get that as my default player it streamed the broadcast no problem.

I enjoyed watching part of the Cardinals and Orioles game today, and now I am listening to the Cubs and Oak radio broadcast. Both of which I could never do before with MSN and MLB.com.

Thanks MSN. You made this Cubs fan extremely happy!!