Saturday, July 31, 2004

Not Creative

I never thought Hendry would actually admit it.

The Cubs also talked to the Expos about acquiring Cabrera. Hendry said he didn't initiate the complicated trade with the Red Sox, Twins and Expos.

"I'm not usually one to be creative enough to do these four-way deals," he said. "I always call them 'Billy Beane deals.' I'm from the school that it's a hard enough job to do a one-on-one. The potential that it became a three- and four-way was probably at lunch time today."


I know I bash Hendry on not being creative and then when I get my wish I declare him a god. Maybe Hendry was just lucky on this deal, just in the right place at the right time. I still don't care how we got Nomar.

On the flip side it only reinforces my fears about Hendry and his inability to be creative not only on trades but free agents. For all the wonderfull news of getting Nomar the Cubs still left 2 unanswered questions from my Cubs goals. 1) Decide Walker or Grudz 2) Find a closer. So while Hendry got the SS of our dreams he dropped the ball in 2 other areas. I guess you can't fault the man who had visions of Nomar dancing in his head.