Sunday, August 29, 2004

The Madness Continues

You see why I can't get behind any Cubs winning streak now? Just when you think the team is going to go on a roll they come out and drop 2 straight to Houston.

If you need any more proof that the Cubs antics on the field are being watched closely by MLB read this.

"I wanted to remind both managers that if things got out of hand there would be discipline," said Garcia, who watched Friday's game and will attend Sunday's. "The games are too important [for that]. I think the disposition of both teams is very good."

Garcia said his umpiring crew already had filed reports with MLB disciplinarian Bob Watson over several incidents Friday, including Barrett's oral sparring with Astros pitcher Roy Oswalt, Kent Mercker's plunking of Oswalt and Mercker's shouting at umpires immediately after the game.

Watson reportedly was watching Friday's game in New York because of the possibility of bad-blood payback.

Watson "just asked what I saw and I reported what I saw," Garcia said. "He sounded like he was pretty much up to date on what was going on. I thought he knew more than me."


That appears to me that Barrett and Mercker could be seeing some suspensions if the umpire crews have already filed reports. I dont know, but when are Cubs players going to get it through their heads that jaw jacking doesn't win baseball games. Whining to the umpires doesn't win ball games. Getting suspended doesn't win ball games.