Monday, August 16, 2004

The Pretenders

Over the next month the Cubs have a fairly easy schedule and should still make the playoffs. But the way they have played against San Fran, San Diego, and LA it will be a quick exit from the playoffs. One thing this Cub team has not done all year is gel into a team. It is still a bunch of individuals playing on a team, instead of a bunch of individuals playing as a team. You can even group Sammy into that. I was listening to the radio and a person suggested that Sammy Sosa should do the P.C. thing and come out and say bat me where ever you want, I just want to do whatever it takes to help the team win. And you know I agree with that. I don't agree with demands for him to be moved down, and then calling Sosa selfish for not coming out and saying that. I can understand the pride, and he has accomplished far too much in his career for people to be calling for his head and second guessing him. If Sosa came out and said that, that would take the media spotlight completly away from the situation that Dusty Baker has created with his "sensitive" comments.

Ohh yeah and if Sosa really was telling the fans to, "F*** Off" like it looked like to me after he struck out over the weekend, that is one battle Sammy Sosa will not win. It is a road no player should travel down.

As for the bullpen woes, how bad is the childish attitude of Latroy Hawkins damaging this team now? Actually I shouldn't blame Hawkins, the blame should fall into Kyle "I crap my pants in meaningful games" Farnsworth. I swear you can see the wheels turning in his head thinking, "What if I screw up here?" "What if I don't get this guy out?" "What do I do when I have 2 strikes on a hitter?" He is so afraid of failure that he becomes a self fullfilling prophecy of failure. If only we could make a player called Joeyle Farkowski. The brain and and heart of Joe Borowski and the physical makeup up Kyle Farnsworth.

So look for the Cubs to beat up on the Milwaukees and bottom feeders and for everyone to say we have turned the corner and are playing as a "team." Only to get bounced in the 1st round when we play some real teams. Because one thing is certain, the real teams have kicked the crap out of us this year.

Note: Didn't I say if you wanted to lose you play Grudzielank and if you want to play to win you play Walker? And who has gotten the most starts in the last 3 series? Yes I know Grudz is batting .353 (39 AB's) in August but like most of his career it is a hollow batting average, because of a grand total of 1 RBI. Walker in 16 AB's in August is hitting .438 with 6 RBI. Grudz can't drive in runners to save his life. All Walker has done in his career is hit for extra base power and consistently drive in runs from the top of the order.