Friday, December 17, 2004

Renteria

The Cub Reporter has a nice article on whether Renteria was a good signing for the Sox.

My take on Renteria… If the price is $10-million per at four years, I’m not disappointed he’s gone.

I think he’s an overrated player. Take away his 2003 season, which looks aberrant when considered with the balance of his statistical record, and he’s a tick above league average for the position with an overvalued glove.


I was going to do a post awhile back comparing how Nomar was a superior offensive force over Renteria. Mainly because I was hearing how people wanted Renteria more over Nomar. I had one major problem with that thinking, to Renterias credit he hit in the #7 hole most of the time and actually sported pretty good numbers when he batted higher in the order. I never fully understood why the Cardinals batted him so low his entire career, I would of made him the #2 or #1 hitter in that lineup.

I will be interested to see how Renteria responds by hitting higher in the order for a full season. If his past splits hold he should return to the 100 RBI mark which will make him well worth his contract. If the Cubs signed Renteria he would never even sniff the 100 RBI mark the rest of his career. Much like Bellhorn excelled in a very good offense in Boston I expect Renteria to do much the same.