Thursday, October 28, 2004

No Beltran, No Problem

While I am still in the camp that Beltran is a pimp dream to be a Chicago Cub I can still believe the Yankees will end up being his ultimate next stop. People forget that Bernie Williams is about done and I believe he has one more year left. Beltran could easily start in CF with Williams getting about 300-400 AB's coming off the bench. I also have no idea how much longer Sheffeild will continue playing with one arm either. So it makes sense if your the GM of the Yankees to lock up a position on your roster when other guys are approaching the end of their careers.

The obvious counter point is that the Yankees need pitching, and they need it badly. And that is a very real arguement by some which would keep Beltran from going to the Yankees.

So this is where my armchair GM crazy thinking comes into place. The Yanks sign Beltran. The Cubs ship Kerry Wood for Hideki Matsui. This helps the Yanks keep a pretty good offense, and get some young pitching. This would also tie into the Yanks purseing Tim Hudson who is a free agent in another year as well. Remember always thinking ahead...

This move would allow the Cubs to pursue either Renteria or Nomar to fill SS. And if by some act of god the Sosa contract could be shipped then a Drew or Magglio could fill out RF. You have to be creative as a GM and give a little to get a little. I still think Jim Hendry is not a creative GM and does not have enough insight to think 2-3 steps ahead. By time the 2005 season opens the Cubs could dramatically upgrade the offensive with little overall damage to the team or it's payroll.

I did the math earlier in the year and if the Cubs dont resign the players that shouldnt be resigned then that frees up about $18 million I believe.

Wood (8 million) - Matsui (7 million)
Nomar/Renteria - (10 million?)
18+8-7-10= 9 million left to spend on whatever else the team needs.

Now if Sosa could be moved and we pay half of his salary it gets a little better...
Sosa (8.5 million, paying half his salary)
Drew/Magglio - (10-15 million?)
9+8.5-12.5= 5 million left.

Some extremly rough math but it is possible to turn over the current roster and build a better team.

I would sacrifice Wood and eat half of Sosa's contract if it meant a lineup something close to this.

Patterson - L
Drew - L
Nomar - R
Matsui - L
Am-Ram - R
Walker - L
Lee - R
Barrett - R

The other version may look better to those that don't want anything to do with Corey Patterson.

Renteria - R
Drew - L
Am-Ram - R
Matsui - L
Lee - R
Walker - L
Barrett - R
Patterson - L

Honestly I will defend Patterson against most things, and I am a pretty huge Nomar fan. But I like the bottom version better due to the fact that it gives a perfect lefty - righty balance. I have my concerns about Renteria and a return to his low OBP days but willing to take that risk.

The other obvious improvement would be OBP.

Drew - .436 OBP
Ramirez - .373 OBP
Matsui - .390 OBP
Lee - .356 OBP
Walker - .352 OBP

Hmmm now if only I could be the Cubs GM.

Ok guys hop off the Fantasy Bus and let Jim Hendry work. I cant wait to see who is our next Lenny Harris/Jose Macias/Tom Goodwin/Rey Ordonez/Neifi Perez player for 2005. Did I leave anyone out?