Thursday, April 01, 2004

Fan Feedback



If none of you read Redbird Nation regularly, shame on you. Its one of the best blogs for the St. Louis Cardinals.

What I would like to point you to is his March 30th post titled, "How Much Would You Pay for Edgar Renteria?" In that post Jeff Luhnow, the Vice President of Baseball Development for the St. Louis Cardinals emailed Redbird nation and wanted to know what the fans thought about signing Edgar Renteria.

This is what Luhnow wrote in an e-mail to Redbird Nation.

I thought it might be interesting to start a discussion about signing Renteria. We all know what he brings to this team and we all know his contact is up at the end of this year. I'd be very interested to hear from you and your fellow bloggers [about] what kind of contract you think would be most appropriate for the Cardinals and Renteria. Clearly we all want him here, that's not the issue. The issue is what would be a good contract for both sides, one that the fans would support and is "doable" based on other deals out there, his likely demands, etc. Years and money is the question.

Unfortunately, this will have to be a one way conversation -- you all talking, me listening, for obvious reasons, but I would like you to have a voice.


Is that wonderful or what? No one in a million years would think blogging would take off this fast and start having this much influence. I know political bloggers are starting to have a direct affect on shoddy reporting practices in major news organizations all over the world. With the power of the internet you can cross check stories instantly between hundreds of thousands of people and in some cases millions.

The very fact that someone in Cardinals management is interested in what the fans think shows they care about their fan base and want to know how to best address it.

Imagine if the Vice President of Baseball Development for the Cubs contacted The Cub Reporter with a similiar question on one of our players? That would be AWESOME! It would feel like the fans had a voice, and possibly a say in whether a player left or was signed long term.

I am extremly jealous of whats going on over at Redbird Nation. But I am also extremly proud to see a baseball team making that gesture.

Ofcourse I had to chime in and say that Renteria should never be allowed to hit the Free Agent market otherwise he will not resign with the Cardinals. I pointed towards the Cubs getting rid of Alex Gonzalez and Moises Alou's contract after this year. And if i was GM of the Cubs I would be all over trying to get Renteria and weakening a division rival.

I think I gave some of them nightmares. Hehehe. I cant let them have all the fun, they are still the St. Louis Cardinals afterall!