Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Some pitchers just can't be closers. I have said for atleast the last 3 years Farnsworth is a mental midget who can't handle being a closer. Leave him as a set up man and you will get a long career out him. Make him a closer and he will be out of baseball in 2 years.

Hawkins is of the same caliber. While i cringe to call him a mental midget he simply implodes when in the closers role. Leave him as a set up man and you will get a long career out of him.

Francisco Beltran earlier in the year I said should of been made the closer. While he hasn't pitched well since I mentioned that, I think he has the mental make up to be a closer, but not a setup man. Some guys thrive on pressure situations, and to me Beltran seems like that type of person. Even if he hasn't shown it in the setup role. Eddie Guardado enjoyed success as a setup man, but he turned it up a notch as as a closer.

I could be wrong, but it can't be much worse than watching Hawkins blow leads than Beltran. Atleast we would get back a decent set up man that is dominating.