Wednesday, February 02, 2005

What Can You Say......

Burnitz is a Cub. Doesn't get much worse than that.

Another off-season of bright promise with high profile free agents and the Cubs manage again to come up empty handed in upgrading the offense.

You really feel like an ass when you state on multiple occasions that Cubs will not sign Magglio, Drew, or Beltran and then it becomes a reality. I would rather the Cubs prove me wrong. But I am not stupid, I am used to this. I am used to heading into free agency and coming out with nothing. It is a Cubs tradition. So I am not at all surprised by our big time upgrade of Burnitz.

At the end of last season I said a typical Cubs move would be signing Jermaine Dye. Burnitz, Dye, same thing. The sad part in all of this is Jason Dubois. With nothing left to prove in the minors, his career is over with the Cubs. He has no shot at all to get any playing time, much less even win a position. He needs to move on like Juan Cruz and have a chance at a real career in the majors.

Be happy with Jerry Hairston and Burnitz. It is a far cry from when this off-season started with visions of real talent dancing in our heads.

Update: The good thing about all of this. If the Cubs play like they did last year, Dusty gets fired. Cubs play winning baseball I am happy, Cubs play poorly I am sad, but happy Baker will be gone. Ofcourse playing poorly again has additional consequences that could force this franchise to start breaking up the team.

If Sosa was addition by subtraction, then Dusty Baker is the ultimate addition by subtraction.